Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"[Hotel]time... and the livin's easy"

(First off, go check out TheJesusMethod.com and their new logo. I hear it's really cool and *whoever* made it is even cooler!)

Homewood Suites, Albuquerque
Since I've been in Albuquerque a little over a week now, I thought I'd post a few pictures of where we'll be "living" the next couple months.

When Michael's team began making arrangements for this trip, they originally voted on staying at a Candlewood Suites. But after two of his co-workers arrived in their rooms they were disgusted to find unclean/used sheets, dirty showers and "mystery substances" on the carpet, walls and furniture. Um, ew? You're talking to a person who first thing when I enter a hotel room I rub down every door handle, knob, remote and light-switch with a clorox wipe. I throw the comforter as far away from the bed as possible (they never wash those things - more ew) and I'm not above lifting up the mattress and taking off the headboard to check for bed bugs. And I NEVER, I repeat, NEVER walk around barefoot. Buh.. gives me goosebumps just thinking about the unknown amount of germs and nasties thriving in any hotel room's carpet. Yeah, there's no way I would have spent one minute longer in that place than what it would have taken me to speak to a manager and get a refund.

Living Area
After two nights there - which would have been two nights too many for me - they temporarily moved to a Holiday Inn Express until rooms at the Hilton Homewood Suites became available. Michael called to let me know of the final change in accommodations, and seemed really happy with where we'd be living for the next eight weeks. He also signed up for HHonors, so he'll earn hotel points and airline miles while he's here in Albuquerque. He did something similar last year for our extended trips to India and racked up an insane amount of points. We've actually heard many businesses are starting to have policies against employees earning "perks" while traveling on the company's dime, so we're pretty fortunate that Michael's company has no restrictions on that presently.

Bathroom
They are in the process of remodeling the gym here so I've had to goto the Hilton Garden Inn down the road to exercise, but they should be done within the next week or so. Unlike most other times when we've gone out of town, I've been able to maintain a healthy fitness and eating routine since we've been here. I can't stand fast food, so it's awesome that we can buy our own groceries and stay away from processed foods. AND, and, and - they have two Costcos relatively near by - how could my little hotel world possibly get any better???

Kitchen
Michael is working two hours or so on Tuesday, six on Wednesday and twelve Thursday-Saturday. It's a lot, but he'll still have enough days off every week if we decide to visit different cities and sites. We're driving about an hour and half northeast of Albuquerque tomorrow afternoon to Sante Fe. There is a scenic route that takes you north past Sante Fe, through the mountains then back down into the city -- but it takes an additional two to three hours so we're planning that for another weekend. Tomorrow we just want to check things out, take some pictures, eat more New Mexican food, and of course - drink coffee.

Man, living life in the fast lane, I'm tellin' ya...

More pictures to come!


What's the longest amount of time you've ever had to spend in a hotel? How did you make the most of it and what are some things you did to feel more at "home"?

1 comment: